really, i'm writing my prospectus Right Now
So, this Sikh guy and I have a little email flirtation going on. He just sent me pic of him and his dog and his wife; he saw pics of me with Dayton and CeCe. He's going to the camp this summer, that's why he emailed me initially. But we clicked, and we're fun. He's radical commie, recently shed the turban and beard, and gets my wit. He didn't get get accepted to the law schools he wanted because he proudly stated he'd done time for protesting at Republican National Convention. Go, Sikh boy!
Michele got me all excited about a legislative analyst opening with the city, and now that I looked, it's not posted anymore.
I need to seriously think what I want in my future. It is NOT TEACHING. I want to work with adults and be able to swear and talk about sex without being fired for contributing to delinquency. I don't let my kids swear because they do it badly and in lieu of descriptive language. I want to spend more time with people who know when a good fuck is appropriately lingistically placed.
In education our hands are so tied now, and I'm a different generation so I chafe. In my undergrad times, it was no big deal for profs to do students. Sleazy if they're married, and suspicious about bad grades for those not giving head, but no big deal.
Now in higher learning, there's always a wall - there has to be or else situations could happen. I just read a book by historians talking about their learning, and they all talked about the most important thing was the personal relationships with profs - hanging out with them, drinking and smoking with them, arguing theory until wee hours. And I know that this Just Shoot Me U that I attend is worse than others, but I still think the days of profs living fully are done. Instead, there's all this talk of "backstage lives" and "professionalism." Bah. I want to keep it real instead.
Like with Aztec boy - I had to do something to alienate us, because we're too fond of each other. Not that I'd run away with him to Vegas or anything of course, but a genuine fondness for each other leads to equality - and that subverts the status quo. I have be In Charge at all times because that's what schooling is about.
Unfortunately, it's also what hinders real education.
Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that teachers and students should be sexually involved. But there's this current witchhunt climate that puts a damper on real learning. I can't let my kids tell me things about their private lives, and vice-versa. And of course I don't want to tell them about how many orgasms I had last weekend, but I think it would be important to talk about real cultural issues I'm facing - because they will face them, too, and without any support. Instead I am supposed to give lectures on things completely removed from their *real* lives.
And it sucks.
OK, back to prospectus. I'm on sentence #3. Woot.
Michele got me all excited about a legislative analyst opening with the city, and now that I looked, it's not posted anymore.
I need to seriously think what I want in my future. It is NOT TEACHING. I want to work with adults and be able to swear and talk about sex without being fired for contributing to delinquency. I don't let my kids swear because they do it badly and in lieu of descriptive language. I want to spend more time with people who know when a good fuck is appropriately lingistically placed.
In education our hands are so tied now, and I'm a different generation so I chafe. In my undergrad times, it was no big deal for profs to do students. Sleazy if they're married, and suspicious about bad grades for those not giving head, but no big deal.
Now in higher learning, there's always a wall - there has to be or else situations could happen. I just read a book by historians talking about their learning, and they all talked about the most important thing was the personal relationships with profs - hanging out with them, drinking and smoking with them, arguing theory until wee hours. And I know that this Just Shoot Me U that I attend is worse than others, but I still think the days of profs living fully are done. Instead, there's all this talk of "backstage lives" and "professionalism." Bah. I want to keep it real instead.
Like with Aztec boy - I had to do something to alienate us, because we're too fond of each other. Not that I'd run away with him to Vegas or anything of course, but a genuine fondness for each other leads to equality - and that subverts the status quo. I have be In Charge at all times because that's what schooling is about.
Unfortunately, it's also what hinders real education.
Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that teachers and students should be sexually involved. But there's this current witchhunt climate that puts a damper on real learning. I can't let my kids tell me things about their private lives, and vice-versa. And of course I don't want to tell them about how many orgasms I had last weekend, but I think it would be important to talk about real cultural issues I'm facing - because they will face them, too, and without any support. Instead I am supposed to give lectures on things completely removed from their *real* lives.
And it sucks.
OK, back to prospectus. I'm on sentence #3. Woot.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home