putting the fun in dysfunctional
So, it was SST today - Student Study Team. My first one at this school. Led by one of my Panel Sisters.
The kid, Juan, had been referred to SST by the Asst. Principal (Flanders). Why? Usually SST is a precursor to special ed testing, but Juan doesn't need that. Juan just has authority issues and lies and doesn't do shit. But where he excels is in the bullshit, and he got Flanders to believe his bullshit.
Flanders had asked panel to not kick Juan out, and we obliged. And now Flanders looks like a total idiot because every teacher is pissed, and the meeting consisted of Panel Sister saying, "I have no idea why we allowed you a second chance. You did not deserve it. All your teachers say you lie and don't do work. I can't even lead this meeting."
So the other teachers and I stepped in and I just asked Flanders directly, "Why are you doing this for him?"
Now, I have SUCKER in huge letters across my forehead for the downtrodden student. But I hate liars, and I can usually see the bullshit a mile away. Not Flanders, because he is an idiot.
And he was humiliated in this meeting, and he slammed the door on the way out and did none of his textbook jocularity, and we snickered.
Why is that fun? Because yesterday when I sent a kid out of my class, Flanders sent him back. I sent him back, he got sent back. I said, Oh Hell No. (The kid was fine today - yesterday he was just a shit and needed to be removed. Actually, all the kids were fine today.)
Flanders wants to disempower us - I then got a phone call "reminding" me to report my 3 parent phone calls a week. That's all he does? Send kids back and harass teachers about that? Bullshit. Panel Sister said I'm free to give him the finger about it as everyone else does.
And no, we weren't trying to get back at him, but we stood firm and made Flanders realize that he was conned. And that, blog friends, was swEet.
This is, as Panel Sister and I discussed, THE most dysfunctional district I've ever worked in. And she said that all the teachers feel that way this year - that the atmosphere is really bad. That does make me feel better, that it's not just the new kid being left out of the good atmosphere. I mean, I'm not trying to feel better because things suck, but it's nice to know there's solidarity. I hate my job, and they hate theirs. Sucks to be us, but at least it doesn't suck alone.
The good news? The new kids I got seem cool. A couple of good kids in my ELD3 class, which really, really needed it. We're wresting control back from the ELD3 gangstas. None of the kids can get credit because they entered at this late date in the term, which is bullshit. But, they're all pretty active and on-task (so far). The comprehensive high school just dumped a ton of kids on us, who didn't even need continuation. Like this girl who only needs 30 more units to graduate, which she could easily finish with summer school. Why send her? Why not let her graduate with a real diploma with her friends, and where she can get the sheltered classes she needs? Oh well. Those are actually the really easy to teach kids, because they're focused on passing. The ones who only have 15 credits and are 17 years old (they need 210 to graduate from us), they're the tougher cases. Like Juan - he's 17 1/2 and has only 65 credits. The boy has got to kick into gear. But it's HIS responsibility, not ours.
My 5th period is an interesting combination of kids - it's loud and obnoxious and raucous, but the ones who really aren't there to learn weren't there today, and the ones left were just goofy while getting work done, and they were actively trying to redefine it as me as one of them. This is of course problematic on many levels, but on some levels it's helpful. They listen to their peers far more than authority. I just have to say, "That's a highly inappropriate question. Focus on your work." But that voicing, it's not working with them. They are insistent that I come to their level. It's like, I went from being the invisible not-real-teacher (because of starting late in the year after many substitutes) to suddenly being the topic of fascination and conversation. I don't like it. I like that they've finally learned my name, because it's easier to communicate, but I don't want them speculating about my life. Just let me be a one-dimensional character in the classroom, don't push me outside. My hearing is strange - sometimes I'm deaf and sometimes voices carry - but I was helping a kid across the room and I heard, "She's a good teacher." "Who?" "Ms. Bowman, she's a really good teacher. One of the best." "Yeah, I know. That's what I say."
But, no I'm not. I'm collecting a paycheck and I hate my job, and I'm bitchy more than is reasonable. So, what image are they projecting on me? Why do they think these things about me? I'm not hip, I'm not cool, I'm not friendly, I'm not a great teacher. I show up, and for me right now, that's a lot, and that's all they get.
The kid, Juan, had been referred to SST by the Asst. Principal (Flanders). Why? Usually SST is a precursor to special ed testing, but Juan doesn't need that. Juan just has authority issues and lies and doesn't do shit. But where he excels is in the bullshit, and he got Flanders to believe his bullshit.
Flanders had asked panel to not kick Juan out, and we obliged. And now Flanders looks like a total idiot because every teacher is pissed, and the meeting consisted of Panel Sister saying, "I have no idea why we allowed you a second chance. You did not deserve it. All your teachers say you lie and don't do work. I can't even lead this meeting."
So the other teachers and I stepped in and I just asked Flanders directly, "Why are you doing this for him?"
Now, I have SUCKER in huge letters across my forehead for the downtrodden student. But I hate liars, and I can usually see the bullshit a mile away. Not Flanders, because he is an idiot.
And he was humiliated in this meeting, and he slammed the door on the way out and did none of his textbook jocularity, and we snickered.
Why is that fun? Because yesterday when I sent a kid out of my class, Flanders sent him back. I sent him back, he got sent back. I said, Oh Hell No. (The kid was fine today - yesterday he was just a shit and needed to be removed. Actually, all the kids were fine today.)
Flanders wants to disempower us - I then got a phone call "reminding" me to report my 3 parent phone calls a week. That's all he does? Send kids back and harass teachers about that? Bullshit. Panel Sister said I'm free to give him the finger about it as everyone else does.
And no, we weren't trying to get back at him, but we stood firm and made Flanders realize that he was conned. And that, blog friends, was swEet.
This is, as Panel Sister and I discussed, THE most dysfunctional district I've ever worked in. And she said that all the teachers feel that way this year - that the atmosphere is really bad. That does make me feel better, that it's not just the new kid being left out of the good atmosphere. I mean, I'm not trying to feel better because things suck, but it's nice to know there's solidarity. I hate my job, and they hate theirs. Sucks to be us, but at least it doesn't suck alone.
The good news? The new kids I got seem cool. A couple of good kids in my ELD3 class, which really, really needed it. We're wresting control back from the ELD3 gangstas. None of the kids can get credit because they entered at this late date in the term, which is bullshit. But, they're all pretty active and on-task (so far). The comprehensive high school just dumped a ton of kids on us, who didn't even need continuation. Like this girl who only needs 30 more units to graduate, which she could easily finish with summer school. Why send her? Why not let her graduate with a real diploma with her friends, and where she can get the sheltered classes she needs? Oh well. Those are actually the really easy to teach kids, because they're focused on passing. The ones who only have 15 credits and are 17 years old (they need 210 to graduate from us), they're the tougher cases. Like Juan - he's 17 1/2 and has only 65 credits. The boy has got to kick into gear. But it's HIS responsibility, not ours.
My 5th period is an interesting combination of kids - it's loud and obnoxious and raucous, but the ones who really aren't there to learn weren't there today, and the ones left were just goofy while getting work done, and they were actively trying to redefine it as me as one of them. This is of course problematic on many levels, but on some levels it's helpful. They listen to their peers far more than authority. I just have to say, "That's a highly inappropriate question. Focus on your work." But that voicing, it's not working with them. They are insistent that I come to their level. It's like, I went from being the invisible not-real-teacher (because of starting late in the year after many substitutes) to suddenly being the topic of fascination and conversation. I don't like it. I like that they've finally learned my name, because it's easier to communicate, but I don't want them speculating about my life. Just let me be a one-dimensional character in the classroom, don't push me outside. My hearing is strange - sometimes I'm deaf and sometimes voices carry - but I was helping a kid across the room and I heard, "She's a good teacher." "Who?" "Ms. Bowman, she's a really good teacher. One of the best." "Yeah, I know. That's what I say."
But, no I'm not. I'm collecting a paycheck and I hate my job, and I'm bitchy more than is reasonable. So, what image are they projecting on me? Why do they think these things about me? I'm not hip, I'm not cool, I'm not friendly, I'm not a great teacher. I show up, and for me right now, that's a lot, and that's all they get.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home