Monday, February 27, 2006

Me to doctor

She asks when I'm leaving for Africa, when I'm returning, and shakes her head amazed.

Me: "I need a hyperactive thyroid to live my life."

She agrees.

See? She agreed.

Then I say I have none of the symptoms, and again she agreed. No high blood pressure, no weight loss, etc.

She: Heart palpitations?
Me: Never. (A mild lie. When I drink 8 double lattes, I can cause 'em. But I don't do that much anymore.)
She: Diarrhea?
Me: Only sometimes when I travel, and then it's something else, because I drink the water.
She: Periods normal?
Me: Completely for my entire life, like clockwork.

And so on. I got no symptoms. I didn't tell her about the cycling and all that because she didn't ask, and I don't even want to get into it with her about why I refuse to medicate for bipolar disorder and how I manage my mania myself, muchas gracias. She's nice and I like her and I don't want to lie to her, but I ain't medicating.

But, bloodtest for hormone levels and then we'll talk. Whatever. I didn't say to her, "I'll give my blood up, woman, but I ain't taking no stinkin' pills. I ain't killing my thyroid, and I ain't eating salt" (which, of course, she wouldn't require of me, but there's that iodine thing).

All that, with a stop at the bank, took me an hour and a half. Sheet. That's a lot of time to drive across town - but I did choose to go during rush hour. Just for a break. Finished short paper, now on to editing long one, finishing up presentation, and THEN WHAT?? That is what I think has me most stumped. It's only 5:44 PM and I could be finished with everything by 6:30 or 7:00. I didn't expect to be like this. I can't really start studying for exams or anything yet, and don't really want to start a book I can't finish before I go to Africa, and have no more shopping to do (nothing more will fit in my suitcases).

Chillax? I don't know how!

I don't think I'll suffer the same problems as others when I finish my dissertation, because I'll have a gazillion things lined up to do next - because I always do. It's the hyperactive thyroid I refuse treatment for. I couldn't be me without it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home