Just Shoot Me University
So, I got email back from a poli sci prof at JSMU. I asked about how normal it is that a prof have 17 advisees plus at least twice again that many committees and a new institute-thing and full teaching load while on sabbatical a third of each year. I said I didn't think it normal, and he said:
"I'll say. I have never heard of anything like that. This smells of mismanagement. Unless Ed. PhD's take very little work."
No, they most certainly do not. When I compare to other departments, definitely not.
And then when I mentioned my fears that I seem flaky because I can't stick around, this is why he will always be on the good list, he said:
"Well, I hope this isn't too distressing. If JSMU cannot serve you, you are probably doing the right thing. I don't worry about you in the long run, because you are very bright and also hard working. You will find something worthwhile!"
*********
Anyway, fun weekend, hanging out for Shirley's birthday! Stayed at Michele's, got my truck fixed, ate SO MUCH CHOCOLATE, and watched Brokeback Mountain (yes, very good).
Damn daylight saving time.
"I'll say. I have never heard of anything like that. This smells of mismanagement. Unless Ed. PhD's take very little work."
No, they most certainly do not. When I compare to other departments, definitely not.
And then when I mentioned my fears that I seem flaky because I can't stick around, this is why he will always be on the good list, he said:
"Well, I hope this isn't too distressing. If JSMU cannot serve you, you are probably doing the right thing. I don't worry about you in the long run, because you are very bright and also hard working. You will find something worthwhile!"
*********
Anyway, fun weekend, hanging out for Shirley's birthday! Stayed at Michele's, got my truck fixed, ate SO MUCH CHOCOLATE, and watched Brokeback Mountain (yes, very good).
Damn daylight saving time.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home