Saturday, January 28, 2006

Liberia: America's Stepchild

I just finished watching this PBS show from the late 1990's ... it begins with showing former President Doe of Liberia and his gunmen stripping the former cabinet members, tying them to posts on the beach, and shooting them dead. Cheering as the bodies are slumped at the base of the poles.

And it just gets worse.

That's not entirely true. There's a nice historical section for most of the video, exploring Liberia's history and the relationships with the United States.

And then the violence begins again. Including that infamous footage of Prince Yormie Johnson holding Doe hostage 10 years later - cutting off his ear, eating it, ridiculing and torturing him. The video says they castrated Doe, too. Could be. Much worse was done to the non-famous.

There was a brief, unnamed show of Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf when she campaigned in 1997 against Charles Taylor. She's the president now, from the recent elections (Taylor was until 2003, when he was finally convinced to flee to Nigeria - where is still is, without any punishment for the horrible crimes he committed). At least she can't be castrated. But Taylor's soldiers have tortured and raped her before.

I don't know what Liberia's future holds. I hope for the best and am glib about it.

But I also understand why Dayton really wants to get out again - it's not my body with the bayonet scars. I have not experienced. I have seen videos and read books and talked to people, but I have not experienced these horrible, horrible things done.

I watched the video carefully, looking for people I know, relieved I didn't recognize them. I watched Elizabeth Blunt of the BBC talking about ducking under a table during the gun battle when Doe was taken prisoner and the bodies she had to step over when she could eventually leave. Some of them were my friends' family members - because 70% of the refugee camp is Doe's tribe. They all fled, justifiably fearing revenge from Taylor and the other factions.

And I am sickened not only by this history, but by the present. How Joseph (and many others) can wear pro-Doe t-shirts. The man committed horrible atrocities and was supremely incompetent in leadership. What's to celebrate? That he's the same tribe and rewarded his peeps? That will push Liberia back into more evil and bloodshed.

At the same time, it is SO BEAUTIFUL in Liberia. And I'm so 'homesick' for West Africa. I miss the lilting voices, the music, the clothes, the snap handshake, the rice & greens, my man.

Liberia would be heaven on earth, except that it's been hell for more than 25 years.

But I do hate the title of this show. I will not abandon and neglect and abuse my stepchildren, as America has done to Liberia.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home