a moment
I had a moment today. Good Girl came to ask me a question during 5th period (my rowdy class - they were taking a test - and they were SUPER good because I started off by saying, "Look, I've already written three office referrals today and just had a horrible hour,") about matrix multiplication. And I could not for the life of me remember how to do it.
Teacher was gone (6-year-old has had a very high fever for two weeks and is in hospital) and sub was clueless, so she came to me because, "You helped me so much last time - I really got it when you explained." I helped her with math? When? She's only been my student for a week. And after Friday, no more because she doesn't qualify for my classes - her English is proficient and she passed the high school exit exam. Then I remembered a little cipher activity I helped her with.
Pressure was on, and I surfed the 'net and found it and memory was jogged and she got it. Mission accomplished. Reputation intact. Phew. There for a moment, I thought I was a geek without a clue.
Another moment today - not a great one - Boy Whose Name is Spelled Like a Girl's said in rapid Spanish, "Breathe, Deep Breaths, Relax," because I'd just kicked a girl out of the classroom for getting on the internet without permission. He worries so much about me so I said quietly, "You know, this is just between us, but I always act a little more pissed off than I really am. Actually, I'm totally relaxed right now, but I wanted everyone to know you DON'T BREAK MY RULES." High-5 ensued with, "Wow! That's so cool! And it really works! Because I like always act good in here because I don't want to upset you - and now I know it's fake! Wow!"
OK, telling the underlings the secret - bad move. I was weak. It was a moment.
In another weak moment, I spied an announcement for home schooling for $33/hour. I called. Now, I'm hired - and of course I got the kid who was expelled for inciting racial violence. Gomez was the signing Asst. Principal, so I called and got the scoop. I love connections. But now I look at my calendar and with meetings and other commitments and classes ON TOP OF TEACHING FULL TIME, I wonder how I'll teach 10 extra hours a week! Sigh.
But, it doesn't matter, because tomorrow is Friday. Once I have my grades turned in, I am escaping for a WHOLE WEEK to hurricane-land.
Best news today is from Gail, who told me about a girl we worked HARD with - she graduated and is saving money for college. Yay! Our efforts were not in vain! She was on the fast-track for dropping out - some staff even thought she'd get pregnant and drop out before finishing 8th grade. She's showing them wrong and I LOVE IT because I never doubted her. I worried, but never doubted.
So, here's to Sara V., who would be so freakin scary and kick the ass of those kids whose cell phones rang in class and who disrupted my teaching and were assholes.
Chief Asshole - today right after my class at 9:30 am he got busted for DRINKING VODKA IN CLASS. I kid you not (no, he wasn't drinking it in my class). Every teacher and every person who interacts with him has told me what an asshole he is. Like I said, he's better now, but he's got such deep issues it's frightening.
I'm frightening. I have these two kids for two classes straight, and they're both SO SHY that I worry about hurting and breaking them. But their skills are SO LOW and I make them write and rewrite - and after six weeks, I do see improvement. Yay! More improvement to come, at least until they shatter.
Teacher was gone (6-year-old has had a very high fever for two weeks and is in hospital) and sub was clueless, so she came to me because, "You helped me so much last time - I really got it when you explained." I helped her with math? When? She's only been my student for a week. And after Friday, no more because she doesn't qualify for my classes - her English is proficient and she passed the high school exit exam. Then I remembered a little cipher activity I helped her with.
Pressure was on, and I surfed the 'net and found it and memory was jogged and she got it. Mission accomplished. Reputation intact. Phew. There for a moment, I thought I was a geek without a clue.
Another moment today - not a great one - Boy Whose Name is Spelled Like a Girl's said in rapid Spanish, "Breathe, Deep Breaths, Relax," because I'd just kicked a girl out of the classroom for getting on the internet without permission. He worries so much about me so I said quietly, "You know, this is just between us, but I always act a little more pissed off than I really am. Actually, I'm totally relaxed right now, but I wanted everyone to know you DON'T BREAK MY RULES." High-5 ensued with, "Wow! That's so cool! And it really works! Because I like always act good in here because I don't want to upset you - and now I know it's fake! Wow!"
OK, telling the underlings the secret - bad move. I was weak. It was a moment.
In another weak moment, I spied an announcement for home schooling for $33/hour. I called. Now, I'm hired - and of course I got the kid who was expelled for inciting racial violence. Gomez was the signing Asst. Principal, so I called and got the scoop. I love connections. But now I look at my calendar and with meetings and other commitments and classes ON TOP OF TEACHING FULL TIME, I wonder how I'll teach 10 extra hours a week! Sigh.
But, it doesn't matter, because tomorrow is Friday. Once I have my grades turned in, I am escaping for a WHOLE WEEK to hurricane-land.
Best news today is from Gail, who told me about a girl we worked HARD with - she graduated and is saving money for college. Yay! Our efforts were not in vain! She was on the fast-track for dropping out - some staff even thought she'd get pregnant and drop out before finishing 8th grade. She's showing them wrong and I LOVE IT because I never doubted her. I worried, but never doubted.
So, here's to Sara V., who would be so freakin scary and kick the ass of those kids whose cell phones rang in class and who disrupted my teaching and were assholes.
Chief Asshole - today right after my class at 9:30 am he got busted for DRINKING VODKA IN CLASS. I kid you not (no, he wasn't drinking it in my class). Every teacher and every person who interacts with him has told me what an asshole he is. Like I said, he's better now, but he's got such deep issues it's frightening.
I'm frightening. I have these two kids for two classes straight, and they're both SO SHY that I worry about hurting and breaking them. But their skills are SO LOW and I make them write and rewrite - and after six weeks, I do see improvement. Yay! More improvement to come, at least until they shatter.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home